The combination of cold weather and dry, indoor heat can do a number on your hair, resulting in split ends and breakage. Most people think that breakage only happens in the summer, but it unfortunately can occur during the winter and to all hair types. To ensure your hair is looking fabulous all year long, here are a few precautions you can take!
- Itching and flaking skin occurs a lot more frequently in the winter. If you can, we recommend shampooing your hair a little less. If you have a more severe issue with flakes, use a dandruff specific shampoo. Watching what you eat and decreasing stress is also another solution for any scalp issues you might be having.
- While we understand wanting to blow dry your hair during the winter, it’s actually not good for it! To combat this, you need extra moisture. Try a heavier, oil-based moisturizer. Because it evaporates slower, it will protect your hair more efficiently.
- Because of the dry winter air, you should be scheduling hair treatments weekly to replace all lost moisture. Purchase a good conditioner, wet your hair then leave the product on for about 30 minutes or so.
- During the winter months, flyaway hairs are very common, which can be a suggestion of dryness. Keep hair hydrated with regular conditioning and use a leave-in conditioner instead of the dryer sheet process.
- From blow drying to straightening your hair, all the heat can cause breakage and split ends. When you’re styling your hair with heat, you should be using heat protection products like leave-in conditioner. This will help to prevent split ends and breakage. To take some time off from the heat, try hair styles like braids, buns or ponytails.
- While mornings can be a busy time, it’s important to ensure you dry your hair before running out into the cold. When something is cold, it expands and this includes wet hair in the cold. This puts you at risk for split ends and breakage and it can also cause your hair color to fade.
For more tips on preventing damage to your hair during the winter, contact the professionals at Salon de Beauty! Schedule a hair appointment with us today by calling us at 781-340-4494 or by filling out our online form.